AusBream Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Members Boat | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Classifieds
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bream Rigs
 Sounder Secrets
 Recommend me a sounder
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Yabbie
Cockney

Australia
10 Posts

Member No: #5020

Posted - 24 Aug 2013 :  6:33:14 PM  Show Profile Send Yabbie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty broad I know but I've been out of the game for a few years and will need one for the new V-nose. Will be mainly fishing Gippy lakes and a few trout missions here and there too.
So what do I look for? How much do I spend?
So fire away peeps, pros and cons please.

Age and treachery beats youth and enthusiasm every time.

fisherman
Stonker

Australia
1200 Posts

Member No: #1900

Posted - 24 Aug 2013 :  7:39:52 PM  Show Profile Send fisherman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you want colour screen or black & white?
Do you want duel beam or single?
Sounder only or GPS combo?
Small screen to take up less space, or a 5 inch or 7, 8, 9 10 or 12 inch screen?
Do you want down scan?
Do you want side scan?
Do you want touch screen or not?
Do you want humminbird or lowrance?
How much do you want to spend....a fish finder starts at about $99 for a simple B&W unit...and not much change out of $2k+ for all the bells and whistles and a massive screen..

Fisherman

Proudly Sponsored by Cranka Lures & Samaki Rods
www.crankalures.com
www.samaki.com.au

Who stole the chubby from my tackle tray....**** did!
Go to Top of Page

Yabbie
Cockney

Australia
10 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2013 :  11:00:51 PM  Show Profile Send Yabbie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well there lies the problem eh...I don't even know what half that is....Like I said, I've been out of the game for a fair while so am testing the waters to see what others who are up to date with modern sounders recommend.
So from that list I recon colour would be good, GPS would be good too, 5 inch screen?
Whats all the up/side scan about? Touch screen would no doubt be a good thing too?
$$ wise what would I get for around say $800.00 or am I way off?
I'm pretty much starting from scratch so fire away with the pros and cons and what I should be looking for, cause the last one I had was B&W and stuck on the side of the tinny...I reckon the pixels were 1cm2 too!

Go to Top of Page

ledge n
Stonker

Australia
1024 Posts

Member No: #1542

Posted - 25 Aug 2013 :  07:34:56 AM  Show Profile Send ledge n a Private Message  Reply with Quote
from what I read, a HDS5 will do the trick.

It is a great sounder, I have two,

They are cheap easy to operate, colour and has GPS.

will suit your needs 100%.

Ledge n

Supported by:

www.barzoptics.com.au

Go to Top of Page

spawn_again
30cm Bream

Australia
288 Posts

Member No: #3078

Posted - 25 Aug 2013 :  11:56:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit spawn_again's Homepage Send spawn_again a Private Message  Reply with Quote
agree with above, get a lowrance hds. easy to upgrade, easy to use, all round great sounder.

Pro Staff - Pro Lure Australia
http://www.prolureaustralia.com.au
Go to Top of Page

juicebox
10cm Bream

Australia
38 Posts

Member No: #3887

Posted - 25 Aug 2013 :  12:48:27 PM  Show Profile Send juicebox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would stretch the budget a little and go for a elite 7 hdi, tranducer has built in down scan nd regular sonar, comes with gold charts and very simple to use. Also has a 7 inch screen so the split views are alot better than the hds 5 imo.

In saying that elite series don't have the upgrade option to side scan and a few other features.

Andrew

Cheers,
Andrew
Go to Top of Page

beats
40cm Bream Bluenose

Australia
990 Posts

Member No: #509

Posted - 26 Aug 2013 :  7:20:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit beats's Homepage Send beats a Private Message  Reply with Quote
new Elite 5 & 7 HDI's are fantastic units with everything except side scan & both come with gold cards.

but depending on budget the HDS 7 Touch is probably the best small boat option there is the amount of theng you can do wit or add to it is impressive..
Go to Top of Page

Yabbie
Cockney

Australia
10 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2013 :  09:46:50 AM  Show Profile Send Yabbie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, will be looking at them good and hard then. I'm looking forward to boating again.

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AusBream Forums © 2000-2014 AusBream.com.au Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000